Year in Harbin

I'm in Harbin, China for a year studying Chinese at the Harbin Institute of Technology. My major back home is Electrical Engineering but I'm doing this for the heck of it...so far it is awesome. don't forget to view the early photos here and the more recent ones here

Thursday, December 21, 2006

halfway there

Well school's out, Christmas is nigh, and I think that means I'm about halfway through this crazy China thing, 6 months in. All us American CETers spent last weekend in Beijing together reveling in our two days of English. I missed that time last semester because I took off traveling straight from Harbin. It was a really fun time, I mean all of us who'd been friends all semester but almost half friends in a way, because without that english it's just not the same. I think a good way to put it is, personalities get muffled. I was looking at all of these cool people through a screen all semester, and then when the language pledge was lifted we could all of a sudden have these amazing conversations and clear communication, it was beautiful. Add Beijing to the mix, and we had one heck of a final night together. The shuttle to the airport for most of them left at 5:30 Monday morning. Sleep was short for everyone. Myself and probably 5 others didn't rest until the bus left, first at a bar, then dancing, chatting, late run to the 24 hour Micky D's, and then those leaving hopped the bus and those staying finally got some sleep. Ou Kaili, wish you could have made McDonalds with us but we all know you had a valid if unfortunate excuse.

I had an informational interview with Boeing China on Tuesday, so Monday I hit up one of the cheap markets for some new duds. They really hike up the price at first, but I think my bargaining was decent and I came away with some cheap new stuff and was lookin' alright for the interview. The interview went well, the highlight for me being dinner the night before. I ate with my contact at the office, a really nice Chinese guy named Matthew. We'd been in contact by email in English, but at dinner we slipped into speaking Chinese. His English was pretty good, but it just felt more natural to speak Chinese with him, which I never could have done even a month or two ago I think. It's so fun to have landmarks like that and see progress made, makes this whole thing seem more worthwhile.

The rest of the week I've been hanging out mostly with Jordan and Alyssa, a couple of stragglers like me. Movies in the basement of the hostel are free, we found a nice little restaraunt, tying up loose ends for them (last minute christmas presents before they leave the country). Jordan and I went and checked out the Temple of Heaven, one of the big historical sites in Beijing. It was pretty impressive, I've gotta say, boasting the largest round all wooden structure in China...I guess maybe they've got a square one that's bigger, but still pretty cool. I'll try to get the pictures up soon, this internet cafe doesn't do USB.

I'm heading out in a few hours for Xi'an, I'm planning to be there for a week or so, have a nice relaxed week before Mom gets here next Saturday. I'm REALLY looking forward to that, it's going to be so great to see her. Dad's coming a while after that, which will be equally awesome. Not going home for the holidays is a little rough, but at least I get that connection to home wich will be extremely welcome. Well, gotta catch that train, more when I get to Xi'an (the place with the terra cotta warriors, whoo!).

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home